Friday, January 23, 2015

Year long bead project: Inspired by the "Spice of Life"

Happy 2015! 

I have been working on so many things early this year, (coming soon) I didn't think I could be any more inspired, until I received the Fire Mountain Gems Seed Bead Catalog in the mail the other day and was struck with inspiration right there on the cover!

The cover necklace entitled "Spice of Life" was created by Carol Davis. 
Hers necklace is made from peyote stitch tubes with a wooden core bead.  



 I have been making peyote tubes for years, mostly making them into earrings.
These earrings were made in 2007. 



This inspired me to use what I already do, and make a necklace made from tubes 
as a year long beading challenge. 

I gave myself a few "rules." 
  • First to make one bead every two weeks using a different pattern for each week. 
  • Second, that they must all be made of Delicas and be 12 beads wide by 12 rows, only because that is the size of the grommets I had enough of :) 
  • The final rule is that I must blog my patterns and share this challenge to make sure I keep my deadlines and follow through! 

I broke down the year into 2 week increments giving myself deadlines to make a bead. Every other Thursday, starting on 1/15 (two weeks into 2015) and continuing as follows:

Winter dates: (5 beads total including the 15th)
  1/29, 2/12, 2/26, 3/12

Spring dates: (7 beads)
3/26, 4/9, 4/23, 5/7, 5/21, 6/4, 6/18

Summer dates (6 beads)
7/2, 7/16, 7/30, 8/13, 8/27, 9/10

Fall Dates: (6 beads)
9/24, 10/8, 10/22, 11/5, 11/19, 12/3

Last bead due by 12/17. 

Makes 25 total beads and leaves two weeks for assembly!
It should be enough for a one strand necklace, depending on how I plan to space it.


First bead: (1/15/15) pattern is zigzags. I used DB 114 and DB 001


I hope you enjoy my year long challenge, I know I will! Keep checking back for more beads and new patterns, as I have 24 more to go!

Happy Beading- Beth

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you get inspired too :) Happy Beading!

      Delete
  2. What are grommets and where do I get them? I have made many peyote tube beads and LOVE the end ds of yours. Please let me know♡♡♡ TinaPoss222@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. I love making the peyote stitch tubes. So hopefully I will be abl to follow through with this idea. Thank you Beth for sharing.

    ReplyDelete