Thursday, May 19, 2016

2016 Project: Beaded bead #10

This bead is a throwback/variation on my bead project from last year. If you haven't seen it, you can scroll back to January and see the finished project or click here to start from the beginning!

The difference between this weeks beads and last years is that these are odd count peyote stitch. Even count is one of the easiest stitches, whereas the turn in odd count can be a pain. To be honest, when I first started beading I would brick stitch the edge of my even count pieces instead of attempting odd count! Now I do it the better way!

   These beads are made by stitching a 12 row peyote strip and zipping it together into a tube. The odd count makes the symmetry of the pattern much easier then even count.

Now about the grommets/eyelets I glue into the ends of these. I didn't really cover that in last years project as I was more concerned with the patterns than the construction of the bead. The eyelets are 3/16 size, I buy them in either the leatherworking or scrapbooking section of my craft store. I glue them into the ends with tacky glue that dries clear.

The how to:
Carol Dean Sharpe aka SandFibers has the best picture tutorial of the odd count turnaround that I have ever come across. If anyone would know about peyote stitch is is her! Have you seen her patterns? I have! They are great! You should visit her on Etsy! Or maybe follow her on Facebook :)


This weeks bead is a bit simple but with all the changes going on for me I am happy I got to make two!

 If you didn't already know, I am leaving Jewelry by Beth on Artfire and moving to BethClarkBeadArt on Etsy. It is going to be a slow process but a good one for me.
You can also follow me on Facebook, or find me on instagram @bethclarkbeadart


16 beads to go!

My remaining deadlines are:

Spring dates: (2 left) 6/2, 6/16

Summer dates: (6 beads) 6/30, 7/14, 7/28, 8/11, 8/25, 9/8

Fall dates: (7 beads) 9/22, 10/6, 10/20, 11/3, 11/17, 12/1, 12/15

The last bead will be "due" on 12/29!


Thanks for reading and Happy Beading! -Beth

1 comment: