Thursday, January 12, 2017

2017 Thursday Bead Post #2: Even Count Peyote Stitch

This week: Even Count Peyote stitch.

The first stitch I ever learned was Peyote stitch. I figured out how to do it myself after I found this unfinished pouch in the "bargain bin" of a bead store I worked in. Until that moment I had no idea that off-loom beadweaving existed or what Peyote stitch was. I was hooked!


  
I kept the pouch as it was (above) until last May when I finally finished it and gave it back to original creator as a thank you for all she has done and inspired :) If she reads my blog, she knows who she is!

There are a bunch of great free tutorials on how to Peyote stitch out there if you don't already know how it is done. If you Google "even count peyote stitch" you will get an idea of how many there are. I wish there had been this much beading information out there when I started beading! 

Like I did with this week's blog, I usually start my Peyote projects by drawing my ideas on blank peyote graph paper. After I have a general idea of what I want to do, I then work with it on my computer in a program called Bead Tool. Bead Tool has a free trial version if you want to see for yourself! I find that it is a great program for playing with beading patterns and colors.* 

Since it snowed 8 inches here last week...

 I decided to take my two colors of Delicas (DB 787 & DB 351) and make a little snowflake bracelet and pattern.

                                       
The first picture is the pattern without repeats, the second is an idea of what it looks like as a longer segment.

Here is some bead honesty for you...I don't really know how to read a bead chart. When I make something with a pattern I print the image and make marks on the rows that I have used. I also start my first rows with a solid color so I don't get confused. I know this probably isn't helpful to anyone else, but I took a picture of my aftermath to share :)

I am happy with my finished snow day bracelet! I used a button from my stash and made a simple loop of beads that I reinforced as a clasp.



*Disclaimer:
I am not affiliated with, paid by, or endorsed by anyone. By posting about beading and/or beading products I am not claiming to be an expert, nor am I suggesting the way that I do anything or the products I use are the best/correct/only way. All opinions expressed here are mine, and aren't meant to be taken as anything more than an opinion or suggestion from some stranger on the internet 😀


Coming weeks: 

January 19th: Odd count Peyote Stitch

January 26th: More Peyote stitch ~ Bead it Forward squares

February 2nd:  Peyote stitch with multiple sizes of beads


Thanks for reading & Happy Beading! -Beth



No comments:

Post a Comment