Thursday, January 19, 2017

2017 Thursday Bead Post #3: Odd Count Peyote Stitch

This week: Odd Count Peyote

Odd count Peyote is best for creating patterns that are symmetrical and need a center point. I used to think it was tricky and confusing while following a pattern until I figured out that there is a turnaround needed at the edge to make the actual stitching have some kind of rhythm.

In preparation for this post, I Googled "odd count peyote" and of course there are a bunch of different tutorials for this stitch. I am not sure that I am going to give a link to any specific instructions every week but I like Carol Dean Sharpe of SandFibers version of the odd count turnaround.  Her tutorial the best of any that I have looked at; it is clear, easy to understand, and free! *

This week I made a little odd count pattern that I turned into a ring.

This pattern is repeated three times in this image, because I find that a longer segment is easier to follow when I print it out.
I used DB10, DB2039, DB2035, and DB2031 to make my ring. 


Last week I shared a little "bead honesty"- Here is my bead honesty for this week- for years I brick stitched the edge of all of my odd count pieces- Yep I used even count for my peyote then added a brick stitch row to make it look like odd count. The most honest part of this is now I will have to share this tidbit again when I blog about brick stitch :)

*Disclaimer:
I am not affiliated with, paid by, or endorsed by anyone. By posting about beading and/or beading products I am not claiming to be an expert, nor am I suggesting the way that I do anything or the products I use are the best/correct/only way. All opinions expressed here are mine, and aren't meant to be taken as anything more than an opinion or suggestion from some stranger on the internet 😀


Coming weeks: 

January 26th: More Peyote stitch ~ Bead it Forward squares.

February 2nd:  Peyote stitch with multiple sizes of beads!

February 9th: Ladder stitch & some herringbone.


Thanks for reading & Happy Beading! -Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment