Thursday, March 16, 2017

2017 Thursday Bead Post #11: Tubular Herringbone

Totally Tubular- Herringbone!

My friend Onye was nice enough to comment a link on my last post that has more info on Ndebele stitch and the people that created it! I am so glad there is more than what I found! There are also some great pictures of their beadwork on the page! If you don't know who Onye is- you should find out- stalk her and her beady creations on Etsy and Facebook!

This week I made a Herringbone bracelet for this post. Bead honesty: I didn't have a herringbone rope to take pictures of. I don't really enjoy the simple seedbead only version of this stitch- I don't think I have ever made more than a simple bracelet with Tubular Herringbone before- including this time :)

  
I put some stretchy cord inside my rainbow tube and finished it with a bead big enough to cover the knots in the cord. The tube wanted to be flat without a core inside it. I always forget that tension is super important with this stitch. I can see where I was lacking precision in these pictures.

Good news! This stitch was one of the easiest so far to find good instruction of:


Fusion beads has a step by step tutorial with pictures.
Art Beads has a video of Tubular Herringbone Stitch with Leslie Rogalski
Jill Wiseman also has a short video!

Twisted tubular Herringbone is basically the same stitch, except the beads seem to twist or spiral around each other. I didn't have time to make a twisty version, but I did have time to find some tutorials!

Potomac Bead Company has a video showing how to do Twisted Tubular Herringbone.
Art Beads also has a picture tutorial of how to do the "twisted" stitch

Jill Wiseman also has a video that has a different approach to the stitch, but accomplishes the same look. She also calls it "Spiral Herringbone"


*Disclaimer:
I am not affiliated with, paid by, or endorsed by anyone. By posting about beading and/or beading products I am not claiming to be an expert, nor am I suggesting the way that I do anything or the products I use are the best/correct/only way. All opinions expressed here are mine, and aren't meant to be taken as anything more than an opinion or suggestion from some stranger on the internet 😀


Coming weeks: 

March 23rd: More tubes! Chenille stitch

March 30th: More tubes! Filled Netting

April 6th: More netting: non tubular...


Thanks for reading & Happy Beading -Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment